April 7, 2023
ASES is committed to furthering the professional development of students and folks starting out in the renewable energy and sustainability industries through education and providing networking opportunities. Our goal is for our students and emerging professionals to be involved in SOLAR 2023 through scholarships, internships, and presenting/attending, or volunteering. We want students to be empowered to be a part of the renewable energy and sustainability industries. During the conference, students will be able to:
- Discover what’s next in solar policy, microgrid resilience planning, and workforce development.
- Share and discuss successful skills to assist you in your personal and professional lives.
- Grow your network and connect with fellow ASES members who are industry peers, technical experts, educators, and overall supporters of a 100% renewable energy world!
ABOUT SOLAR 2023
SOLAR 2023 is designed to serve and advance the solar energy industry by bringing together national labs, installers, government officials, and enthusiasts in the solar and renewable energy industries to explore solutions, new technologies, policy initiatives, and other key factors.
The technical sessions include tracks such as Equity and Access, PV/Thermal Applications, Life Cycles, and Education. Additionally, the conference will include the ASES Annual Awards Banquet, a tour of the NREL research lab, a Mini Boulder Solar Tour, National Solar Tour Luncheon, two NABCEP Courses, and a NABCEP Workshop. SOLAR 2023 will also be a net zero emissions event!
We are dedicating the following sessions specifically for students and folks new to the renewable energy industry – be sure to attend; you won’t want to miss it!
Tuesday, Aug 8, 2023:
Mini Boulder Solar Tour
For the last 27 years, during the first week of October, the National Solar Tour has been an event where people all over the country directly visit and learn about homes powered by solar energy and other sustainable technologies and practices. We will be hosting a sneak peek of what the 28th year will look like during the conference!
Wednesday, Aug 9, 2023:
Fellows and Students Reception
ASES honors persons making significant contributions
to the society and generally within the field of solar and
renewable energy each year. Join us for dinner and
drinks as we present our annual ASES Awards and
Thursday, Aug 1, 2023:
Join us for this 5 mile walk/ride or 10 mile ride around the city of Boulder. We’ll meet and end on the South Terrace of the UMC at CU Boulder: 1669 Euclid Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302.
Checkin: 5:30 pm
Ride Starts: 5:45 pm
Ride Ends: 7:30 pm
Friday, Aug 11, 2023
Students on Sustainability: Young Professionals Forum- Speed Networking with Professional Mentors
Moderator: Sydney Muñoz, Sustainability Director at GoodWill International
- The Young Professionals Forum will enable students and emerging professionals to gain knowledge from professionals, build networks, and obtain guidance for navigating early career challenges. This event attracts attendees from diverse professional backgrounds and represents the interdisciplinary nature of the renewable energy community.
Spirit and Sustainability Forum
Moderator: Paulette Middleton and Orlo Stitt
- Accelerating the transformation to a world with genuinely renewable energy and sustainable living means universal commitments to 100% renewable energy across all sectors and populations, including:
- justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) principles;
- a circular economy (reuse, recycle, renew);
- environmental protection and restoration;
- highest quality development standards.
- How do we grow the political will needed to make and act on these commitments? This forum provides participants the opportunity to explore these issues together. This informal moderated dialogue format aims to build community and create new insights.
Student Energy Workshop: Entering the Energy Transition Labor Market
Informed by the upcoming launch of Student Energy and Orstedʼs Energy Transition Skills Project, this workshop will provide context into the existing gap between what is most important to young people when looking for employment, the barriers they face in entering the Energy Transition labor market, and how energy stakeholders can address these gaps to advance youth skill development. After laying the foundation, we will uncover tangible solutions and opportunities for young people to increase their knowledge of the Energy Transition labor market and the specific steps they can take to increase their confidence when applying for jobs and connecting with prospective employers such as:
- Identifying career interests, values, and skills, and aligning them with labor market needs
- Building your networking skills: how to tell your story and ask great questions
- Where to get started when looking for climate and energy jobs
EV and Solar Cookers Display
This will feature various organizations and exhibitors in the renewable energy and sustainability industry. We will have National Solar Tour sign-ups for our 28th Annual Solar Tour happening October 6-8, 2023!
STUDENT REGISTRATION OPTIONS
- We invite you to register here. Please note that ASES Student Members receive 70% off the conference registration price! (Please message firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code).
- As an ASES Student Member, you have the opportunity to volunteer and assist at the conference, which allows you to receive a complimentary conference registration pass. Please message email@example.com to sign up)
- Intern with us! All interns receive a complimentary conference pass.
- If you cannot travel to Boulder, Colorado, in August, we also offer a virtual attendance and volunteer options!
- Check with your college or university to see if there is funding to support you in attending the conference.
Over the last 52 years, over 15,000 professionals from public, private, and industrial sector organizations have attended the ASES National Solar Conferences. Attendees typically include:
- Policy Makers
- Solar Enthusiasts