Click on the numbered areas to go directly to that section in the Visitor’s Guide below:
- Must Know
- Getting Around
- Map of Campus & Conference Rooms
- Washington, DC vibe: Political, diverse, intellectual, and dynamic
- Weather: Washington, DC, in May can be hot and humid. The spring blossoms continue in May, with flowers in full bloom. The cherry blossoms may have faded by this time, but other flowers and trees contribute to the colorful and lush scenery.
- ASES has hotel blocks reserved for a discounted rate. If you don’t find the right fit, check back soon as we add more hotel blocks.
- Did you know that there are over 40 museums that are free of charge in Washington, DC? Check out Washington.org’s Free Things to Do: Best of Guide!
- Check out Expedia’s Washington D.C. Vacation Travel Guide Video
- It is not at all necessary to have a car. Transportation to/from the airport and other DC metro locations is readily available. Once in downtown DC, bikes and walking are the way to go.
- Conference location: Grand and Continental Ballroom, located in the University Student Center (Cloyd Heck Marvin Center) on the campus of George Washington University. Address: 800 21st St NW, Washington, DC 20052
- DC Metro Schedule and Map
- Visitor’s Map
The DC MetroBus operates an extensive network of routes in both the city and the wider Washington, DC, area. Over 1,400 buses are employed, utilizing either compressed natural gas or a hybrid electric drive system, contributing to the city’s commitment to environmental sustainability. Check out the MetroBus Routes and Schedules.
The DC MetroRail offers secure, well-maintained, and dependable transit services for over 600,000 daily customers across the Washington, DC area. Check out the MetroRail Routes and Schedules.
Ride Share Options
Our conference registration platform offers a Ride Share option so you can coordinate with other attendees to get to the conference! Once you are registered, you’ll receive an automatic email that will explain further. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Uber and Lyft smartphone apps are also a great way to carpool with folks.
- There is a safe biking route to just about anywhere in and around DC. On foot is good too. Cars are the worst! Avoid them as much as possible.
- Need a bike? Check with your hotel; many have a fleet of bikes available for you to use. If not, Capitol Bike Share is the way to go, or Unlimited Biking.
- Check out the Top Ten Best Bike Trails in DC.
Please note all locations below are near the Foggy Bottom area, close to where the conference is!
Coffee and Breakfast
- Founding Farmers
- Bluestone Lane
- Aroma Cafe
- Tatte Bakery
- Cafe Lombardy
- PAUL French Bakery and Café – Foggy Bottom
Cafes and Lunch Eateries
- Froggy Bottom Pub
- Martin’s Tavern
- Flower Child
- Yellow the Cafe
- The Union
- Circa at Foggy Bottom
- Blue Duck Tavern
- Barca Wine Bar & Pier
Map of Campus & Conference Rooms:
SOLAR 2024 will be held at the Grand and Continental Ballrooms, located in the University Student Center (Cloyd Heck Marvin Center) on the campus of George Washington University.
Parking is nearby at the Cloyd Heck Marvin Center. Access is on H Street between 21st and 22nd streets, NW. Rates can be found below:
Here is a map of the third floor of the University Student Center. The conference will be in the Grand and Continental Ballrooms.